Health is a subject people are more and more concerned with. We try to eat healthier, to find time to exercise or to have ourselves checked by a physician, all of which prove that we are aware that prevention is more important than treatment. We try to maintain our body in the best possible shape, we manage to exceed the standards we live our lives by and we focus on the well-being of those around us, especially new-borns. As much as we would like for their birth to be care-free, the first part of their life can sometimes be a bit agitated.
In the following we will present some of the most common afflictions new-borns might suffer of.
- Jaundice – caused by a bilirubin excess, it causes a more yellow colour of the skin than normal. Usually, this problem goes away on its own, but in some cases it might require a medical examination.
- Colic – one of the reasons babies cry without any apparent reason. They usually go away around the age of 3 months, but if they persist, a medical examination is required.
- Irritation – the most common irritation is caused by dippers, which can be painful for the baby. Such cases require the use of special lotions to calm the irritation.
- Breathing problems – although after a few hours from birth the new-born’s breathing is regulated, in some cases the airways can be blocked. Such issues can be recognised by: rapid breathing, the bluish tent of the skin or certain unusual sounds.
- Lethargy or drowsiness – during his first months, a baby sleeps for the most part of the time, but when he is not sleeping, he should be active and playful. If he is not alert and if he does not wake up by himself to be fed, parents should seek medical help, as the baby might suffer from a serious condition.
The doctor’s advice and counsel for good child care are essential for his harmonious development. Sometimes this proves insufficient. The unpleasant situations we might encounter with our babies highlight, once more, the benefits that a private health insurance could offer. Through such an insurance we can treat our new-born suffering from a condition in any hospital in the country or abroad.